Thursday, October 05, 2006

kimuchi nabe

kimuchi nabe

People here have many ways to keep them warm or else who can survive the long and cold harsh winters ? One of those ways are the many delicious " nabe mono ", or hotpot recipes that are served on the family table and restaurants during the winter. My favorite and one of the 2 that I can make is the dish above.....kimuchi nabe. Maybe you already know it, kimuchi is a hot korean food. Very easy and healthy too....

Ingredients:

kimuchi paste or sauce ( can be bought at asian grocers )

kimuchi ( chinese cabbage and other vegetables fermented in the kimuchi paste also sold at any local asian grocer )

chinese cabbage ( bite pieces )
tofu ( I used the firm kind this time )
leeks ( sliced diagonally , bite pieces )
pork meat ( thin slices )
nira ( another kind of leek that has a stronger smell )
japanese radish ( actually most dont use this but ...I love them so ..)

how to:

1. In a large hotpot ( earthen ware is best ), put the kimuchi paste and enough water.
2. Now put the meat and simmer . Now I boiled the daikon that I cut into bite pieces
  beforehand until they are soft then I added it to the meat mixture and let it boil again.
3. Put the kimuchi vegetable first then, Arrange the fresh vegetables and tofu around the meat and cover the pot, simmer until cooked.

Serve with hot rice....careful you dont burn your tonque !

9 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

midnite, where did u learn this delicious looking korean dish?

like u mention, i imagine this is a great dish for the cold weather. and best of all its easy to prepare.

My only problem is when am i gonna find kimuchi ?!!! my list of wanna buy asian stuff is getting longer . i still havent found oyster sauce yet !

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh thats too bad. Here in Akita we have a store which sell many food items from around the world so Im very lucky. I'm sure there is also a store like that in your place, you just have to find it!

no oyster sauce?? wow , and I though it's common all over the world!

thanks for visiting!

8:00 PM  
Blogger kamoteng-pusit said...

Waw!!! Nakakatuwa ang blog mu na to Ate Cha!!! Ang healthy ng mga food recipe na post mu... ayos!!! I really love cooking & I do some experiments from the things i watched on TV & also now I will try urs!!! More power!!! Sana magtayo ka na ng resto jan sa Japan!!! Hehehehe... Apir!!! ;')

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha, maraming salamat pusit. mahilig din me mag-experiment sa food, higit sa lahat mahilig din kasi me kumain.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ate Cha,

Musta na? What happen to the other blog you have? Anyway, this is great food for a cold weather-to warm you up...pahigop naman ng sabaw...

Ingat ha!

7:01 AM  
Blogger JMom said...

oh yummy! I love soups when the weather starts to get cold. I'll have to remember to pick up some ingredients next time I'm at the oriental market so I can try out this dish. Luckily, our local oriental market is owned by Koreans so they have a good selection.

7:16 AM  
Blogger nona said...

hi, know what? it took me half an hour reading and copying your recipes here...ups, hope you don't mind? I love cooking, and eating as well..my mouth's watering lol!

I came from Bee's site and came across yours...thanks for sharing.

Enjoy cooking!:)

5:45 PM  
Blogger midnitebara said...

hi jmom, hi nona ! thanks for dropping by !

2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hello, was just looking how to explain what kimuchi nabe was to a friend haha. My mom tells me to cook the pork and kimchee together before tossing it into the pot. It's suppose to bring out the flavor more? We usually use konbu for the soup, and varrying amounts of miso depending on how salty you want it to be. Try it out!

Nabe = awesome for winter!

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

designed by finalsense.com