Friday, August 04, 2006

soboro bento

I always make obento for hubby. His friends and co-workers teased him that " it will just be for a couple of years, and your wife will no longer make your lunch or else she will pack those frozen, ready to eat food. " Well, we've been married for 4 years but I still make obento for him. And I'm proud and so is my hubby that never for once did I put something in his lunch box that I didnt personally prepare.

Of course, I get sick , tired or sometimes , who doesn't ? Those day he buys obento at the various convenience store near his office. I think thats ok too. So he also gets the chance to choose what he wants for lunch .

This soboro bento is one of the lunches I prepare for him during my " a liitle lazy " days. Very easy , quick and delicious too.

Ingredients :

eggs ( in this case 2~3 )

ground pork meat ( 100~150 grms. )

soy sauce

mirin ( a sweet cooking wine )

cooking sake ( wine)

grated ginger

sugar ( 1 teaspoon )

How to :

1. Beat the eggs until fluffy, sprinkle salt or a little soy sauce. Japanese people put cooking wine to their eggs but I prefer not to. Salt is ok for me.

2. Prepare 5 cooking chopsticks.. . or if you dont have , use thick barbacue sticks. Not the pointed sides coz it will scrape your skillet.

3. Heat oil in a skillet , pour the beaten egss and immediately mix it with the chopsticks, quickly just like you would when making omeletes. Keep on stirring until the eggs become course and dry just like in the picture. Set aside !

4. On the same skillet, put a little oil then put the ground meat. Squeeze the juice of the grated ginger to it.

5. Now, this is important, in a bowl put the same amount of the soy sauce, mirin and cooking osake. In this case I used 1 tablespoon each. Now measure 4 tablespoons of water, add it to the mixture, put the sugar and mix it well. When the sugar is dissolved, pour it to the skillet, simmer and cook until the liquid is all gone.

6. Now put freshly cooked rice on your bento box and top it with the egg soboro and meat soboro and voila....

easy , isnt it?? I think this will also be good for sandwiches. Try it!

8 Comments:

Blogger maiylah said...

interesting! i thought it was grated cheese there, with ground meat.. para palang omelette, pero the main ingredients are cooked separately. ;))

thanks for sharing, ate cha!
happy weekend! :)

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

salamat maiylah and have a happy weekend too!!

10:22 AM  
Blogger JMom said...

that looks delicious and at the same time beautiful! Your husband is a lucky man.

I just have one question, why 5 chopsticks? :)

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh,so that you can mix them into a course texture in no time. of course you can use more but not less.

11:45 PM  
Blogger petite américaine said...

What's the difference between "cooking" chopsticks and regular ones?

Thanks for posting recipes. I love Japanese food, but I'm too poor to eat out at the restaurants in town as much as I'd like...so I need to learn how to do it myself. I can't wait to try it.

(Oh, and any tips would be great!)

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to christine ambre~

hi, thanks for dropping by! I 'll try to put more recipes and maybe add more tips.

10:35 AM  
Blogger annulla said...

This sounds good and easy. I'm going to try it but I'm going to substitute ground turkey for the pork.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Win real money playing online slots at Karamba.com said...

Dropping by...

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

designed by finalsense.com